powertrain > powertrain control
> on-board diagnostics >
IP has extensive capability in OBD system project
work, from development of new OBD strategy through
monitor calibration and sign off and robustness
The key to successful development of OBD systems is
robust strategy design, accurate collection,
analysis and calibration of threshold setting
parameters for each monitor, and then statistical
evaluation to ensure the necessary robustness is
IP has developed its own MATLAB based data
collection and analysis tools for monitor
calibration, particularly threshold setting. We also
have extensive experience of in use monitor
performance ratio (IUMPR) calibration and
methodology for fleet validation, including the use
of industry standard remote logging tools.
- Experience with OBD systems on most of the major
powertrain control systems.
- OBD system specification and strategy
development for new systems and for algorithm
improvement of existing monitors. Development and
calibration of new monitors (e.g. for SCR system).
- Experience of all the legislated monitors for
gasoline and diesel applications, for compliance
with both EU and CARB legislation. Full turnkey
OBD programme capability.
- Sign off and validation capability for all
monitors, including validation of thresholds,
simulated malfunction conditions, comprehensive
- Validation of IUMPR for all the relevant
monitors, in the development phase and during
- Statistical analysis combined with fleet testing
for confirmation of system robustness.
- Support of full OBD fleet validation testing,
run by client or by ourselves on the client's
behalf. Stand alone fleet validation projects,
with remote logging tools and standardised monitor
- IP's own OBD calibration processes, including
procedures and tools developed for Tier 1 EMS
- Advanced MATLAB based tools for data collection
and analysis, supporting reduced timescales and
costs for OBD monitor calibration.
- Statistical approaches for OBD robustness
testing, focusing on threshold setting parameters
rather than MIL events.
- Use of model based calibration toolbox for
optimisation of more complex monitors.
- Powertrain modelling approach for certain
monitors (e.g. crank modelling for misfire
- Analytical approach for development of new
- OBD Process development for Tier-1.
- 2 turnkey CR diesel production programmes to EU5
standards, including OBD calibration and sign off
on all legislated and OEM monitors. Part of
turnkey projects including emissions
- >5 production OBD projects to EU5 emission
standards, on C and C/D passenger & light
commercial vehicles. IP was responsible for
monitor development, calibration and validation
work across these platforms.
- Production project for development, validation
and robustness testing of specific monitors on EU5
Diesel light truck application.
- OEM misfire monitor strategy development